Tuesday, December 4, 2007

"I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day"

Henry W. Longfellow penned the words to what has become a Christmas Classic. His wife had died the previous year in a terrible accident. He then lost his son to death in the War Between the States. In great despair he began the poem, but over the course of its writing, God revealed to him that His Grace was sufficient. You can literally follow the steps back to God in the verses of, "I Heard The Bells on Christmas Day."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I heard the bells on Christmas day their old familiar carols play,
and wild and sweet the words repeat of peace on earth, good will to men.
I thought how, as the day had come, the belfries of all Christendom
had rolled along th' unbroken song of peace on earth, good will to men.
And in despair I bowed my head:
"There is no peace on earth," I said;
"Hate is strong, and mocks the song of peace on earth, good will to men."
Yet, pealed the bells more loud and deep:
"God is not dead, nor doth He sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail, with peace on earth, good will to men."
Then ringing, singing on its way, the world revolved from night to day--
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime of peace on earth, good will to men!

4 comments:

Sharon said...

I love that song. It's amazing how the most powerful songs are written by people who have suffered so much tragedy.

Debbie365 said...

Amen sister...literally! Seriously, that is so true. That's because they know! Gee, I should be able to write a killer song by now...

Erin said...

One of my favorite Christmas songs.

TMM said...

I believe that verse [Luke2:14] is God's declaration of peace TO mean, rather than AMONG men.

I had written an article on this sometime back: Christmas: God's Peace Treaty

Hope this blesses you

Sidharth