Thursday, July 19, 2007

Truly Priceless

It had been a particularly lousy day at work. So much so, that I didn’t want to be around anyone at lunch. Just outside of our cafeteria, there are some nice tables by the lake under young oak trees. It was an overcast and breezy day, so I took me and my attitude outside to eat. I purposefully sat with my back to the building facing the small lake.
About that time, I started talking with God about my crummy day. I said, “Lord, sometimes I wonder if anyone really sees any value in me.”
I had no more entertained that thought when I heard something above me in the trees. A small sparrow was leaping from limb to limb. It was almost audible, God said, “Do you see this little bird? I make sure he has everything he will ever need for his whole life. When he dies and falls to the earth, I’ll know it. He’s only a bird. You are worth so much more to me. My Son died for you.”

I thought about my oldest daughter. Years ago I picked her up from day care in Deltona. We got out of the car and I went to open the door. From behind me I heard her little voice as low as she could speak, “Erin!”, Then in her regular voice “Yes God?”, (low voice) “I love you, Erin.”, In her voice, “I love you too, God.”

It occurred to me that I had just had the same conversation with Him.

Matthew 10:29 (New King James Version)
29 Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father’s will.
Matthew 6:26 (New King James Version)
26 Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Sorry about the bad day, been there. Isn't it amazing that a mere bird can help put things in perspective?