Wednesday, July 11, 2007

I'm Blessed

People ask me how long my wife and I have been together. I say, “Not nearly long enough.” Fact is, from the first time I laid eyes on her I was smitten. I was a bit more timid back then and tried to work up the nerve to ask her to go steady with me.
It was a pleasant surprise one night as the youth were deciding who was riding with whom to go to Pizza Hut, that she (attempting to avoid some other goofy guy) grabbed my arm and said, “We’re riding together.” Someone said, “You two are together?” She laughed and said, “We’ve been trying to keep it a secret.”
I went from secretly smitten, to secretly astonished. We did go to Pizza Hut together and started hanging around together at church. I played guitar at youth activities, and she played piano for the youth choir.
On Friday July 11, I decided that what I truly wanted with all my heart was to go steady with her. That’s what we used to call it before people started going “out” to no particular place.
I asked her out to the Dairy Queen. She said yes, her parents said yes also to my taking along her little brother and sister. Knowing that DQ had a cartoon booth, I loaded up on quarters. While she and I talked about everything but going steady, (because I was chicken) her siblings ran back and forth to the cartoon booth with my quarters in hand.
I got down to the last couple of quarters and decided it must be time.
The happiest moment of my life up to that point was July 11, 1975 at 7:30 p.m. When I stumbled through asking her to be my girlfriend, and she said, “Yes.”
They left on vacation to Tennessee the next day, but I got some cool letters. I keep the picture she gave me in my wallet. Beautiful green eyes, dark brown hair with blonde streaks. Next to my Salvation, she is is the most wonderful blessing in my life.

I love you Babe!
Happy 32nd Anniversary.
Will you still be my girlfriend?

Me

2 comments:

Debbie365 said...

Of course!

Sharon said...

Awww!! I saw him first!!!! ;)

Got any more quarters? I hear there's a chilly willy double feature...