Saturday, May 3, 2008

My Beautiful Bride

It seems like only yesterday I saw her from across the room. I wondered if a guy like me would even have a chance to date her. A very pretty girl, dark brown hair with blonde highlights. Funny and very talented.
I played guitar and banjo for youth meetings and events. She played piano for her parents gospel group. As the fourth in the birth order, I could talk my way out of almost any situation, but when it came to the thought of even attempting a conversation with her, my tongue turned into silly putty.

Well, through a series of most blessed events, I happened to be close enough for her to grab my arm one night, in jest, when people were getting rides after church to the pizza place. Someone asked, “Are you two together?” She laughed and said, “Yes, we’ve been trying to figure out the best way to tell everybody.” Holy Macaroni! Did she just say that? Yup, she did. Well, long story short, a few weeks later on July 11, 1975 at the local Dairy Queen, I asked her to go steady with me. She accepted my class ring and immediately left for vacation in Tennessee the next day. I didn’t eat for a week.  I just counted the days until she returned. Sadly, internet was one of those Star Trek dreams of the future back then. We did write each other. I nearly wore the words off of the paper for that week reading and re-reading that letter.

Three years and several hundred poems and letters later, I asked her Dad for her hand in marriage. A year later she became my Bride. 29 years ago, God granted my most precious request with the exception of my Salvation.

More beautiful than the day I was smitten with a glance from her across the room. Always a Lady, first class. I still get that funny feeling when she walks into a room. I still sit in awe when she plays piano. I’m still fully aware of how Blessed I am to share my life with the only girl I have ever loved.

I’m still crazy about you. W.A.M.E.L. (With All My Earthly Love)

Me

4 comments:

Debbie365 said...

You just didn't realize I had been keeping my eye on you, too, 'mr. Guitar Man'! Oh, I certainly got my gift,too. You are WAY too good for me, Babe...I love you!

Chris Jones said...

'tongue turned into silly putty"



good stuff man! Great blog, by the way I'm from Jacksonville too.

Josiah said...

hey .. i just updated ma blog.

Josiah said...

hey i've updated my blog.. hope u like it !